Sunday, 4 September 2011

Kiki in the Meadow (DIY)

*** Blog post update: The new Kiki e-book with updated patterns and even more student-friendly instructions will be released in spring 2014. More info coming soon***

Dear readers,

life is pretty busy at the moment, but I wanted to pop in to let you know about one of my favourite projects of the last months:

Especially for Handmade Living Magazine (a UK based craftzine), I have designed
Kiki in the Meadow, a 33cm/ 13" clothdoll for a series of dollmaking tutorials.

I am very excited about her (it was quite a challenge to keep quiet about Fröken Skicklig´s newest family addition) and I am very glad to introduce Kiki to all of you.

During the past three years a lot of people have asked whether I would consider to write a book about dollmaking. It feels good to teach dollmaking the way I do in my courses and it is nice to be able to make small changes after each class and to improve the courses. But once a book is at the printers, it is the way it is. That is probably the reason why I feel that a book would limit me as a teacher right now, I simply enjoy the dialogue with my students and the possibility to constantly develop my techniques.

But when Handmade Living Magazine asked me for a collaboration (long before their first issue was out), I started rethinking my avoidance of print media. I found it challenging to design something different from my own dolls and to write easy tutorials for a monthly magazine, it feels less static than a book.
(this is the very first Kiki draft we used when we discussed the first ideas)
The techniques I used for Kiki in the Meadow can be found in classic waldorf doll books, they are based on rather traditional techniques and we (the editors and I) did our best to provide you with a very detailed series of step-by-step photo tutorials which will hopefully make it easy even for those who haven´t made any clothdolls before. What was important for us was to add a fresh touch to those traditional techniques - and we just love Kiki´s shiny bead eyes and her wool felt wig.

The 4 parts tutorial series in the magazine provides you with the pattern for Kiki, instructions and patterns for shoes, underwear and a pretty dress.We are also very pleased to offer Handmade Living readers a complete material kit by Myriad, a marvellous natural craft supplier in the UK (read more about their special Kiki in the Meadow offer in the magazine)
 If you would like to follow Kiki in the Meadow on her adventures, please join us!
We are planning more nice patterns and DIYs to come in 2012. You can find Handmade Living Magazine at your newsagent.

Hope you´ll enjoy meeting Kiki as much as we do!

Warmly,

Juliane

Pin It